Tuesday, December 29, 2009

james taylor and susan boyle

These are two people and songs that my mom suggested I listen to. She was saying there was interesting back story to both songs. So I'm not sure if they're backstory's to her, at least for the James Taylor song, or something else. OH WELL, ON TO LISTENING TO THEM.

James Taylor first. Alright Wikipedia says : James Vernon Taylor (born March 12, 1948) is an American singer-songwriter and guitarist born in Boston, Massachusetts, and raised in Carrboro, North Carolina.[1] He currently owns a home in Berkshire County, Massachusetts. A five time Grammy Award winner, Taylor was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame in 2000.*1



This is such an amazing song. All I heard was the first strains of the song and I was hooked to it. Listen and you might feel the same.
In a BBC interview he said the song chronicled his experiences in mental institutions and the suicide of a friend. The fire in the song refers to shock therapy (which Taylor said he experienced during a stay in a mental institution), and rain is the cold showers that follow shock therapy.*2




Alright. The next song mom wanted me to listen to was Susan Boyle's cover of Wild Horses.*3 The first time I ever heard the song was on the Buffy The Vampire Slayer soundtrack, done by The Sundays.


Now while I like their version, Susan's version is hauntingly beautiful.
Boyle explained to Christian Today why she decided to cover the song: "How could you help but be drawn in by this haunting theme? It conjures up memories of childhood amongst Council Estates, poverty and struggle in the first verse. Irony and bitterness – One of my personal favourites and an emotional release."*4

Just listen to it. She's got such amazing talent.


And who can forget her first appearance???

I love the looks on people's faces when she starts singing. I was thinking it was like a "HA HA YOU DIDN'T EXPECT THAT HUH?" What a delight.






link 1

link 2
link 3
link 4

No comments:

Post a Comment